Monday, December 29, 2008

Big Ben, London Eye, Peace People




The Tube come at us real fast. :) Way fun to take everywhere and very easy.


Monday in London, a little more crazy than a Sunday, but nonetheless fabulous. First of all, I wake up every morning at 5 AM ready to face the world. Actually more ready to face the world than any other part of the day. This jet lag is getting thebest of me. I am really hoping that I have done enough walking today to make this not happen.
We started off the day with breakfast again, I found out that coffee is included in our free breakfast which I got really excited about...you have to pay for tap water at a lot of places. Anyways, we headed the London Eye which gives you an aerial view of London. It was beautiful but really foggy. But the best thing about going to the London Eye, was coming out of the Tube entrance and looking up and seeing Big Ben. Ah! I just can't imagine waking every morning and on your commute to work seeing something so intricate and beautiful!




After that, we went to watch the Changing of the Horse Guards...which I was too impatient for, nothing was happening but I got quite a few pictures. Then I had the best time taking pictures off to myself. Most of the time it has been very difficult to take pictures with everyone in our group. Everyone ends up with the same pictures, but George, Liz and I got off to ourselves for a little while next to a park and then Buckingham Palace, Westminster to see the Peace people. These people are really truly amazing. They are protesters sitting outside of the Houses of Parliament protesting the War in Iraq. They have been sitting there for over 5 years.




After all the fun in the morning, we headed to Notting Hill. We ate at Pizza Express which was really good. It was such a cute place and I felt like I was in the happiest place in the world. There were families there with young children and they were talking in their British accents and running around and playing in the restaurant. It seemed really safe. I enjoyed it. It actually made me really want to come home with a British accent...I'm trying really hard. :)



This part of town was very quaint and beautiful, just like it looks in the movie. There is a street there that was actually in the movie..Portabello Road. It's a market street. We went there in search of good finds, I found one, but other than that it was getting dark and there wasn't much going on. By the way, it gets dark here at like 3:37 in the afternoon.




We had class time at 5:30 this afternoon, so we came back and took an hour nap before class. This was a mistake for we are very tired. After that, we went out with our photography class to a place called the Stockpot. I had chicken and bacon with brussel sprouts, carrots, and chips (which are french fries). This was the most wholesome meal I have had so far and I was very content with it! After that, a few of us walked down to Piccadilly Circus (beautiful with big advertisements like Times Square) then walked down Regents and Oxford Streets, a very big shopping district. Most everything was closed but it was beautiful all lit up. It reminds me of what I think New York would be like!



And so now, we are back in our room and I am ready for bed. Tomorrow we are going to Southwark and the Globe Theater. This is Shakespeare's theater that is open to the sky.. very neat. After that, I think I may go shopping. :) Until tomorrow, I hope all is well in the States and especially Kentucky. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I think I have learned more from your blog than I ever did in a history class! :) Your pictures are beautiful and I am so glad you are getting to experience this incredible journey! Many prayers are going your way. Enjoy...
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete